Generally, any University research that uses humans, human tissue, surveys of human subjects, or human subjects' records requires IRB review. The IRB's charge extends to research in the social and behavioral sciences as well as research in the health and biological sciences.
IRB review and approval are required for any research involving human subjects that:
- is conducted by University faculty, staff, students
- is performed on the premises of the University,
- is performed with or involves the use of facilities or equipment belonging to the University;
- involves University students, staff, or faculty;
- involves Davenport University data
- satisfies a requirement imposed by the University for a degree program or for completion of a course of study; or
- is certified by an institutional official to satisfy an obligation of a faculty appointment at the University, including clinical or adjunct appointments.